Wednesday 5 May 2010

I still think of you nan

It's 12 years since I lost my nan and I still miss her loads.  She was such an amazing influence on my life growing up; I used to spend 2 weeks at Easter with her and my step grandad in their caravan just outside Skegness.  I used to fetch the milk fresh from the farm next door to the site.  I used to help with the washing and loved to turn the handle on the mangle in the 'washroom'.  There wasn't a toilet in the caravan so it was a quick wrap up warm and dash to the 'block' at the top of the site.  Awful if you were bursting or it was cold and wet!

My sister and I slept in the pull down wall bed in what was the living room during the day.  The light came, not from electrics, but from gas lights which had very fragile mantles that nan used to light at night.  There wasn't a TV there either so we sat and read, we knitted, coloured in pictures, talked and listened to the radio plays that she used to love.

I remember (as will my sisters and my brother) that we were given a time to come in from playing or the 'six o'clock/seven o'clock/eight o'clock horses (depending on our ages) would gallop down the caravan site and carry us away!  I was terrified of those bloody horses but they made sure we were never late coming in when we were given our time.

My nan used to make my party dresses when I was very young for the school Christmas parties.  She had an old Singer treadle sewing machine that I inherited when we sadly had to say goodbye to her in 1998.  I traced the history of it with Singer when I emailed them the serial number and found it was made in Kilbowie, Scotland on 21st October 1932 - 7 years and 8 days before my mum was born!  I remember sitting on the treadle plate, rocking backwards and forwards while counting nan's buttons from her button tin (did everyone's nan have a button tin?).

My mum has so many lovely traits that my nan had too.  Both with a calming, loving nature.  Both VERY creative with their hands; knitting, crochet, sewing.  My mum makes some wonderful cards too now.

Nan would have been 100 in November last year.  The 12 years since we lost her have healed the wound and the huge hole she left behind, but they will never wipe out her memory.

Nan, I love you still!  Today, tomorrow and always.
xxx

2 comments:

Vicky said...

Just been admiring your amazing cards over on Kirsty's blog, they're stunning your Nan would be proud.
:)xx

Anonymous said...

Hello , i was reading your story about your nan i smilled as i 2 remeber the old caravans with gas mantles as a child, i also live near to where the singer factory once stood,my aunt worked there, your work is fantastic,your nan will bewatching you and be so proud good luck rosie best wishes susan glancy from alexandria scotland.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin