Tuesday 7 February 2012

Whitworths Christmas Cake Baking Kit

Review of Whitworths Christmas Cake Baking Kit


I was given one of these by a friend at work today (yes, I know it's 7th February), but they we're being sold off in Morrisons from the normal price of £8.00 to the princely sum of 12p!!!! Yes, 12p, as the Best Before End date is February 2012 and she knows I love to cook. With only 180g of butter, 3 eggs and the rind & juice of one lemon to add, I quickly knocked it together after tea tonight. It's now in the oven for 3 hours at 150C.

The rum soaked mixed fruit smelled amazing and appeared to be nice, moist & clean of stalks. Everything is very helpfully individually bagged & weighed and the preparation instructions were really clear.

Sadly I forgot to photograph as I went along & before I placed it into the oven.  It was really simple though; cream the butter and sugar.  Beat in the eggs.  Stir in the fruit, treacle, lemon rind & juice.  Fold in the flour & spices.  Pour into your prepared tin.

It's due out about 10:30pm, so (fingers crossed) I will remember to get a picture of it to share with you then.

I will, of course let you know how it turns out.

It'll be the weekend before I marzipan & ice it (obviously not now in a Christmas theme, but it'll be suitably decorated, I'm sure).  Until then I will allow it to cool completely before wrapping it tightly in cling film to keep the air out and to keep it fresh.  It'll then go in a cool place for a few days.

Footnote:  Mine was cooked in an 8" tin and was baked after 2 hours 35 minutes.  You know when it's cooked because it'll start to shrink away from the sides slightly and a skewer or cocktail stick inserted into the centre of the came will come out clean.  It smells VERY good too.

Can't wait to taste it....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin